Two villages both connected and separated for over 40 years by 700m-high cliffs :
- Saint-Hilaire, perched at an altitude of 1000m, on the commune of "Plateau desPetites Roche"s, borders the Chartreuse mountain range.
- Lumbin, a flourishing village in the heart of the Grésivaudan valley, hosts the landing areas.
Since the 1st of January, the villages of St Hilaire du Touvet, St Pancrasse and St Bernard du Touvet have been regrouped into a single one, recently baptized: Plateau des Petites Roches.
An average-sized mountain village of about 2500 habitants, situated on a natural spur, dominates the Gresivaudan valley.
Rising to 2062m, the Dent de Crolles keeps vigil over this charming village where la dolce vita reigns year round.
Thanks to the Coupe Icare, it has become one of the most famous sites for paragliding and hang gliding in the world.
Particularly appreciated by pilots for the flying potential it offers, it is also an excellent holiday destination for families, due to the divers number of outdoor sports and leisure activities and its proximity to several big cities and ski resorts.
A village of about 2000 habitants situated in the heart of the Grésivaudan valley, Lumbin has charge over the landing areas for paragliders and hang gliders.
The valley stretches from Grenoble to the borders of the Savoie, a dynamic region economically-speaking, with a many companies, including international enterprises involved in a multitude of sectors.
For several years already, the landing area has welcomed a growing artisanal zone that specializes in outdoor sports.
The Communauty of Communes of Grésivaudan ensures the management and maintenance of the site that is certified FFVL.
The paradise of Free flight
The site of St Hilaire - Lumbin boasts precious advantages that have made of this place one of the outstanding references for free flying in the world:
- Altitude of the take-off : 1000 m
- Altitude of the landing zone : 250 m
- 4 take-off areas (hang gliding and paragliding) perfectly maintained
- A spacious landing zone, well cleared, easily accessible
- The funicular of St Hilaire links the take-off and landing areas
- An active association and dynamic group of professionals are highly and loyally invested in the vibrant life of this site .
During the few day of the Coupe Icare, St Hilaire and Lumbin are transformed into a gigantic behive of activity animated by over 1200 volunteers essentially from the 3 villages of the Plateau des Petites Roches, Lumbin and the valley, if not much further (the Region of Paris, the Southwest of France, etc.)
A THOUSAND THANKS TO ALL OF THEM !